Arizona Sportsman's Journal Community Forums

Arizona Sportsman's Journal Community Forums (http://www.azsj.org/forums/index.php)
-   Arizona Outdoor Questions and Talk (http://www.azsj.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Golf course geese (http://www.azsj.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19283)

NativeRat 10-05-2010 02:07 PM

Golf course geese

Slobber.

http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/ar...ws-hunting.html

jdavis92 10-05-2010 02:14 PM

There are some courses up here where I wish I could sit under a tree and pick em off as they come in at dusk.

Jeff in Flagstaff

elkaholic 10-05-2010 04:25 PM

be so easy to head shoot them with the modern scoped pellet guns - they probably wouldnt even fly away -

Bcawz 10-05-2010 04:31 PM

Awesome.

Basser 10-05-2010 05:50 PM

I think it is hard to hunt ducks and geese in the desert since much of the water down here is found on the golf courses. Would be nice if we could do that same thing around here as just this afternoon I saw about 50 geese on the course by my clinic.

GOT BAD RAP 10-05-2010 07:55 PM

I had more fun reading all the comments then the articles itself... :D

NativeRat 10-05-2010 08:01 PM

Last time I flipped through the regs, I think it said you can't hunt with a shotgun modified with a silencer. But that would be just the ticket -- a long barrel and silencer. No one needs to know. Give me a cart and I promise to be out of your hair before the first tee time.

Basser 10-05-2010 08:29 PM

Last year some friends and I were at the FBR enjoying the beers and views that are common at the event when we decided that our new business venture would be to build a golf course just outside of city limits. We would then hunt ducks until about 9 or so and then let the golfers tee off right after that. We could even offer packages for a "Blast and Putt" that would allow you to do both. Of course we were a few beers deep while making this plan so that's about as far as we got...

Chael 10-06-2010 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeRat
lol. The other day I saw about 20 geese fly to a golf course/park lake and land right next to some reeds that would make a great blind!

UniversalFrost 10-07-2010 08:12 AM

When I was in denver I would drive by the englewood golf course every day on my way to the tech center.

there were big canadians and snows all over the place. I golfed there once and I had to chase after once big canadian when it tried to steal my ball on the green (and after a really nice run on a par 5 that i had a chance of walking away with an eagle). I had my putter in hand and it was down to the goose giving me the ball back or me beating it over the head with my putter.

the goose won when he took off and landed in a water hazard for the next hole and just sat in the middle of the pond (I do admit I hit some balls into the water in his direction just because I was so darn mad).... now that I think about it, what do the regs say about a potato gun that launches golf balls? I think a golf ball going about 800FPS or more would take down a goose..... i think I will go to home depot to get some pvc tubing and a can of the nap gas and a dozen golf balls tonight..... lol

jdavis92 10-07-2010 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeRat
Last time I flipped through the regs, I think it said you can't hunt with a shotgun modified with a silencer. But that would be just the ticket -- a long barrel and silencer. No one needs to know. Give me a cart and I promise to be out of your hair before the first tee time.
A bow and my dog could harvest a limit before anyone knew we were there. :)

BW56 10-07-2010 02:55 PM

I made a marshmellow gun kinda like a spud gun that used a co2 tank for propellent. @ 40 psi it put a large one through two sides of a cardboard box. Needs rifling. BW

NativeRat 10-07-2010 03:07 PM

Hey, if 109 passes, someone is going to sue for the right to take waterfowl with archery on private property within city limits. (And I'm NOT saying that would be a bad thing.) Didn't the Native Americans hunt ducks with a bow on the Salt River and any other body of water in the Valley? Surely they did! Sounds like a "traditional means and method" to me. Spud guns and marshmallow guns are probably out of luck, but maybe you could get a bill through the legislature.

(Apologies Audsley: I am nothing if not a pot -stirrer...)